Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Too Old For Hip Hop

Welcome to The Bombsheltah. I'm Archie Bunker, a.k.a. Darcy "Darbles" MacDonald, and as it happens, today is my 30th birthday. I didn't plan this out. I just happen to be sitting here today, with nothing to do. I'm wearing my version of pajamas and a housecoat, I guess - dirty sweats and stinky t-shirt. I'm kinda hungover. Why not start a blog?

A few cover-all answers to projected FAQs and we'll move on.

Firstly - why Archie Bunker? Well, a couple of reasons. Firstly, someone once mistook my first name for Archie. That means nothing to you, but if you were constantly referred to by new acquaintances as "Darren" or "Darryl", you'd feel me. There was at least a phonetic value to the error that made sense. I thought it was funny. If your name is Archie you may disagree, I suppose.

The "Bunker" part is plain logic. C'mon now. This is the Bombsheltah.

The name Archie Bunker is a nod to the '70s TV sexist bigot with the heart of gold, who just didn't know any better. Does such a person deserve praise? Absolutely not. Praise implies worship. A nod simply happens when real recognize real. The real Archie Bunker, g-d rest his script, was on the cusp of hip hop - intolerant, indignant and indulgent. An O.G.. Way too old for hip hop.

I wonder how often "real" and "right" ever get to be the same thing. I don't promise to keep it real, or keep it right. I'll keep it light and tight, and as much as possible, polite. This blog is about hip hop culture and it's tentacles. Promises would be impossible. One man's Source article is another man's toilet paper.

Finally - why the played out "ah" replacement of the letters "er" in the URL to this blog? Nothing less than a perfect marriage of availability issues and bandwagonism.

Thanks for checking this out. I'll do my best to keep you informed on things I find noteworthy and leaving you appropriately tickled or pissed, as the case may be. Enjoy and please feel free to say whatever is on your mind.

1 comment:

~ george said...

"Keep it polite": Slang for a new century.